Followers

Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Arts and Crafts Shows

Since retiring, I've had a bit more time to dedicate to stained glass, my first love since 1986. I had put it aside for a bit and worked on paper crafts since it was just too hot to work out in the garage doing glass while living in Phoenix, Arizona. Now I'm in a small rural town in Kentucky and it's much cooler here. We brought my work bench with us from Phoenix and I set it up in the garage which is where I like to do glass. It's in a window facing the front of the house so I have a lovely view of a field, cattle and the occasional vehicle passing by. I've since bought some supplies for my glass hobby and have had sticker shock...prices have sky rocketed for stained glass, lead, and especially solder! What used to sell for $4 for a pound roll is now up to $22!! To continue doing glass, it's going to have to help support itself so Tim and I have started our own little business and we think our name will be "Sawdust & Solder". That covers his wood turning and other wood art and my stained glass. I continue to make cards and other crafts in addition to glass. 

I sent in my application to the Kentucky Guild of Artisans and Craftsmen and took them 5 examples of my glass work including a lamp, a window panel and boxes. Below are photos of 3 of the items I submitted to be judged by the jury. 




In yesterday's mail (8/30/21), I received the below letter. I've been accepted into the Kentucky Guild! This enables me to participate in art shows that are juried without going through the process ever again. A juried show requires each participating to fill out an application, pay a fee and then drop off examples of their art product. A panel examines the articles submitted and then decides if they are of a quality they want in their show. A  juried show draws a crowd of people specifically looking for higher quality art and to meet the artists. Tim has been a member for over a year now, but with COVID and all art shows cancelled, he hasn't been able to display his work in a juried show until now.

Our first show as Guild members is October 8-9, 2021 in Bardstown on Main Street. We will be there for this 2 day show and are as excited as a hamster on a new wheel. LOL! If you're in Kentucky, I hope you'll attend this fabulous show in Bardstown. It's Saturday and Sunday and we'd love for you to stop by and say hello. 

                                                                         Thanks for reading my post!

                                                                                    Gail

3 comments:

  1. Those are really pretty I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well done Gail! Your glass work is stunning, good luck with your new business.
    xx

    ReplyDelete