Followers

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

My Fairy Valentine

Today starts a brand new challenge at The Paper Shelter Challenge Blog. The theme of this challenge is LAYERS--at least THREE! For my card I used this adorable new image named Valentina by The Paper Shelter. I knew I was going to color her up the day I saw her. I used my favorite color peach and this design paper had a pretty soft aqua leaf color so I carried that through on my layering.


The background flower paper is so pretty and I found the polka dot paper in my stash. But, I didn't have a third design paper so I took my new heart embossing folder by Nellie Snellen and ran it through my Cuttlebug with white paper.  Then I took a finger dauber and lightly rubbed on top of the raised areas of my embossing folder for a touch of color with some Stampin' Up ink. Then, unfortuantely, photographs don't show it, but I used my Clear Wink of Stella pen and painted the peach tinted hearts. I found the solid white embossed heart background was just too plain! I also used my star and heart stamps on dowels by Stamps by Judith that I purchased years ago and lightly stamped around the hearts. By doing all this, I made my own background paper that matched the printed paper with just enough color to add to the card, but not so much that it was overwhelming to the image. So, my tip for today: if you don't have the patterned paper you need, make it!

The two beautiful ribbon flowers with the beads in the center were a gift from my best friend, Lillian, for Christmas, and the light aqua leaves are from Punch Bunch punch. I attempted to keep this card light and airy by punching the leaves out of soft aqua vellum. The peach wired jewels are from my local lace warehouse and are an item I've been hoarding. Lillian also sent me this adorable punched peach doily and the Deco Dots by Queen & Co. Without Lillian, this card wouldn't look like this. Isn't it nice to receive items as a surprise that are so fabulous that you can't wait to use them?! 

The Love sentiment is a new die for me by Cheery Lynn and I layered it on top of an older Spellbinder die tag. Oh, the image is cut out with a Spellbinder die and then lightly inked with the same peach that I used on the stars and hearts. I used my favorite glue pen, the Quickie by Sakura, and applied Warm Glitter Ritz loose glitter to my angel's wings. I know loose glitter can be messy, and I've tracked it through my house, but I just love the look of this extra fine glitter! My image is colored with Copics.


So, if you've read all this, you know I spent quite a bit of time on this card. It's one of my creations that I'm going to sit and admire before I give it to someone special. You don't have to spend near the time I did to get THREE OR MORE LAYERS to join in the challenge at The Paper Shelter Challenge Blog. We all make cards because we love the art and the process of seeing flat paper, metal dies, glitters in bottles, flowers in clear paint cans (ummm, at my house this is how they're stored), come together and make something we can share with someone. So whether you work on your card for one hour or for five hours, it's the pleasure we derive from doing our art is what matters!

The prize from our sponsor, The Paper Shelter, is below. And note that the prize is darn awesome if you use an image from The Paper Shelter!


I love seeing your cards and look at ALL of them that enter the challenge, not just the ones I comment on. This challenge is an easy one for almost all artists (I acknowledge CAS cardmakers work very hard to make CAS cards...it's a technique I haven't mastered), so please pull out your papers and use what you have (or make your own paper), and let's see what you can do for this fabulous challenge at The Paper Shelter Challenge Blog of THREE OR MORE LAYERS

                                                                         Hugs,
                                                                         Gail

This card is entered in the following challenges:
Dies R Us, Sister Act Card Challenge, Di's Digi Designs, CCC Digi Creations, That Craft Place, Craftyhazelnuts Patterned Paper, 613 Avenue Create (Create your own challenge: Image, Die cut, Embossing, Flowers, Square Card), Countryview Challenges, Digi Stamps 4 Joy (Bingo: heart, free, pearl), Die Cut Divas, Pile It On, My Craft Creations, Not Just Cards, Crazy Challenge, Inky Chicks, Artistic Inspirations, Whoopsi Daisy, Scrapbook Stamp Society, Eureka Stamps, Crafting From The Heart, Top Tip Tuesday, Crafting For All Seasons, Dragonfly Dreams (fav color: peach), Party Time Tuesdays, Craft Your Passion, Love to Scrap, Scrappers Delights (fav color: peach), Crafty Creations, Scrap & Craft, Wags n Whiskers, Suzy Bee's Bloomin' Challenge, Bunny Zoe's Crafts, Sweet 7 Challenge, We Do Doobadoo, Ladybug Crafts

48 comments:

  1. Lovely card. Thank you for joining the challenge at Whoopsi Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gorgeous card Gail. I love the peach and aqua together. The paper you made is so pretty love the heart embossing and how you altered it. Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous card - thank you so much for entering the CCC Digi Challenge - all the best, and I hope to see you again soon.
    Maxine
    DT CCC Digi Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning card, love the colours and that image is soooo cute.
    Thanks for joining us at Crafty Creations Challengeblog and good luck with the challenge,
    Hugs
    Willeke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning card, love the colours and that image is soooo cute.
    Thanks for joining us at Crafty Creations Challengeblog and good luck with the challenge,
    Hugs
    Willeke

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH my gosh, this is totally amazing! I LOVE that sweet image and I adore all the embellishments you used, too! I also like that created patterned paper--fabulous! HUGS and have a great rest of the week! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peachy-keen card, Gail !! Peach doesn't seem to be a widely used color, but it sure is AWESOME here on your card . . . and look at you, matching everything perfectly once again. And look at her baby blue eyes - they just draw you in. Glad to be able to contribute a teensy bit to your card-making, girlfriend !! Your coloring, shading and glitz are all stupendous once again. Great take on making your own background papers - we crafters USED to do that way back when we didn't have so many choices, and we tend to forget that technique. Thanks for the reminder, and showing us what a fabby creation looks like!! This sure looks like a "winner" in my book!! Good Luck !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gail, this is such a sweet image and youve coloured it so beautifully, love her hair. The whole card design and layout is just stunning. hugs Shirleyxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. She looks fabulous in peach Gail.....gorgeous card. hugs, Pat K xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. and Gail
      Thanks for join us at ScrapbookStampSociety Challenge.

      Greetings Karin DT Coördinator


      Delete
  11. What a beautiful work, really stunning. Thank you so much for joining our challenge at Top Tip Tuesday this time, hope we see you again.
    hugs Clarissa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know those kind of creations Gail, and no wonder you want to admire it before giving it away. It's so completely gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great card thanks for joining in at Scrappers Delights good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a pretty card Gail. Love the colours and all the fabulous details xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous creation Gail! Love the over all design and coloring but the embossed panel was a wonderful idea! ADORABLE! Thanks so much for playing in our ‘USE AN EMBOSSING FOLDER along with your dies’ challenge at Dies R Us! Please come back again soon!

    Darlene (DRU Blog Leader)
    DIES R US CHALLENGE BLOG
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, Gail! Such a gorgeous card! I love that you created your own background paper with the embossed hearts! Everything here looks so amazing together - a beautiful colour combo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so pretty Gail, love the papers and the image is cute and as ever, perfectly colored, gorgeous work!
    hugs Jacee
    Simply Paper Card Design

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous!
    Thanks for joining us at Party Time Tuesdays.
    Sabina

    ReplyDelete
  19. really pretty Gail, love the colors
    hugs
    céline

    ReplyDelete
  20. She is gorgeous, I can see why you love her. Beautifully colored. Thank you for joining us at CFTH challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow - I love the peach/melon colors use - she is just adorable!! Thanks so much for joining us this time at the Creatvie Fingers challenge, Elizabeth (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Gail.
    Beautiful card and beautifully layered with gorgeous papers and lovely image.
    Thanks for joining us this month at CVC.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is gorgeous! Beautiful coloring and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my goodness, I just love this sweet card! It's so beautiful and you did a remarkable job coloring it! I'm sog glad you shared it with us at PTT :)
    Sara
    www.PolkaDotRosie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. She is so lovely. I like the orange/peach colour you used.
    Thanks for playing with us at Craft your Passion.
    xxx Michelle (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can see the effort that has gone into this and I would never have guessed that layer strip was not a piece of matching DP - it's amazing!
    And all those gorgeous layers are topped off beautifully with the flowers and die cuts :-)
    And I haven't even started on how scrummy that colour combo is...!
    Let's just say I have a lot of love for this card - lol!

    Big hugs, Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing card love the beautifully coloured image and gorgeous papers and love the embossed strip--Thank you for joining us at Artistic Inspirations
    Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful - Thanks so much for joining us at Sweet 7 Designs Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You did such a fabulous job gail.... Love this.... xo Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  30. Absolutely adorable, love the colours you've used and the paper you made yourself is fabulous, all the extra embellishments are just perfect and the ribbon flowers are to die for! hugs, Colette xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very cute card! Thanks for joining us at The Crazy Challenge.
    /Pillan

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderful...everything combines together so well and what fabulous details! Thanks for sharing with us at Eureka!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely card thank you for joining us at Whoopsi Daisy Challenge Sue DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. This image is just adorable and your have created a wonderful presentation for it! Thanks for dropping this off by our house here at 613 Avenue Create! We love seeing you in the neighborhood.
    Hugz,
    Chana, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a beautiful card!

    Thanks for joining us at Dragonfly Dreams and I hope you join us again soon!

    Hugz

    Laurian
    Owner Dragonfly Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  36. Absolutely gorgeous, Gail!!! Love the colors you used and those beautiful papers too!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Totally adorable, thanks for joining in on the challenge at Party Time Tuesdays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. How cute and what a perfect Valentine or sweetheart card! Love that image and the pretty layout.

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a gorgeous project with so many wonderful details! :) Thank you for sharing your talent with us in the Love To Scrap! Challenge Blog's "Anything Goes!" challenge this time!
    Hugs,
    Leslie, LTSCB DT
    Love To Scrap!
    Love To Scrap! With SU
    Love To Scrap! Challenge Blog DT
    Crafty Cardmakers and more DT
    3 Girl JAM DT

    ReplyDelete
  40. Such an adorable card with some great coloring. TFS at Craft Your Passion. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is absolutely adorable! Love how you matched the papers together, they look so pretty! Thank you for joining our 'hearts and / or flowers' challenge at Pile It On and good luck in the draw!
    Hugs,
    Anna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  42. She is adorable!
    Thanks for joining us at Sweet 7 Designs

    ReplyDelete
  43. A beautiful card. Thanks for joining our "Things with Wings" challenge at CFAS this time. Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  44. Beautiful card!! Thank you for joining us at Scrapper's Delights! Maria

    ReplyDelete
  45. Cute card, beautifully coloured. Many thanks for playing along with our "Romance" theme over at We Do Doobadoo Challenges . Lou (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Fab make. Thanks for joining in our Romance challenge at We Do Doobadoo
    Anjie (DT)

    ReplyDelete