Followers

Monday, May 26, 2014

Daffodils

A few months ago I found a site with wonderful drawings by Gerda Steiner. I purchased a few, got a few freebies and began following her site. When no new art work appeared after a couple of months, I wrote to Gerda and found out she and I were going through similar emotional pains...each of us losing a parent within just days of each other. She lost her mom and I lost my dad. We began e-mailing and I think it helped each of us who both love art and who had put it aside during some dark days, but then realized how much we needed it to get through the tough times.

The image below is just one of many of the art designs that I love that Gerda has drawn. I found that coloring flowers has calmed my heart a bit. It's not as much of a stressor for me to color flowers than people. And Gerda found that drawing is what is helping her heal, too. I colored this with Copics and used Glossy Accents on the water in the jar.  


The metal corner is by Wild Orchid and was silver...I used my Versamark pad, inked it up, and embossed it with white embossing powder from Sparkle 'n Sprinkle, which I bought years ago at the Mesa Convention in Arizona. It still looks more silver than white in the picture, but it really is more white. The flowers are from Wild Orchid and I put a touch of Stickles on the edges of each petal. The leaves are a punch by Martha Stewart. The lace is from my local lace warehouse and the thin ribbon is from JoAnn's and threaded through the lace. There's a good reason my blog is named LaceyLassy...I love lace. The butterfly die is from Joy and Lillian sent that to me just 2 days ago, so perfect timing, Lillian, and thank you so much! I used a blue and white printed paper for the butterfly and felt it was a little flat so I used my yellow Copic and colored the flowers yellow. It goes so much nicer with this card with the touch of yellow on the flowers! Also, a hint: I put Stickles all around the edge of the butterfly and by doing that, it drew up the paper and gave the butterfly some lift in its wings. The faceted jewel in the bottom corner is from Michael's. The sentiment is from Whimsy and that's half of a felt doily under the sentiment. Again, Lillian sent me those last week, and her timing is impeccable!

Inside this card is a sentiment I've had for years. I don't know where I got it, but it is in rubber and I unmounted it and neglectfully didn't write down the company name.  The sentiment goes:

I wandered lonely
as a cloud
when all at once
I saw a crowd
a host of
golden daffodils.
 
My fabulous blog friends, Carole and Tracey, have each left me a wonderful comment and told me that this poem is by William Wordsworth, a British poet from Cumbria, England. I have to confess to not liking poetry in school and I probably skipped this entire page of "required reading".  :) 
 
I thought the sentiment was perfect and meaningful considering when Gerda posted this daffodil image on her site earlier this year and how I was feeling.

                                                                                     Hugs,
                                                                                     Gail

This card is entered in the following challenges:
Pink Gem, Kit and Clowder, We Do Doobadoo, Crafty Girls, Brown Sugar, Inkspirational Challenges, Come and Get It, Fairytale Stampers, Glitter n Sparkle, Dream Valley, Dragonfly Dreams, Sentimental Sundays, That Craft Place, The Squirrel and the Fox, Addicted to Stamps (bingo, I've made bingo 1 way across and 2 ways down!), Catered Crop, Digistamps4Joy, The Stamping Boutique, Emerald FaeriesDies R Us, Just For Fun, Mema's Crafts, Feeling Crafty, One Sweet Challenge, Ditzie Digi Designs, Fairytale Stamper, Aurora Wings, Sparkles Forum, Ladybug Crafts, Stamp and CreateFairies Challenges (after joining Fairies, I realized my card is For a Woman but the challenge was Women and I've asked my entry to be removed from the challenge)

34 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to read about the loss of your parent Gail. But very happy to see that you are working through it by making such gorgeous creations. This card is absolutely stunning and I'm sure that whoever you have lost is looking down right now and smiling. This is also such a wonderful tribute to the artist that drew that beautiful image. Thanks for playing in our Anything Goes challenge at Digistamps4Joy! Good luck and we hope to see you again.
    ♥ Charlene DS4J DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail this is a very beautiful card.

    gr karin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Beautiful card and love the bright refreshing colours. Thank you for joining us at That Craft Place. Good Luck and hope to see you again soon.
    hugs Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gail this is stunning and what a beautiful story Her art work is amazing will certainly have a look at the site.I love your design so pretty loving the sentiments. I don't know who made the sentiment stamp you have put inside but the words are taken from a famous poem The Daffodils by William Wordsworth a famous British poet. Love and Happy Crafting Hugs Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is very lovely, Gail. The image is beautiful, and as always the design and embellishments are stunning. I love that your art is proving such a comfort to you.
    Hugs
    Chris
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for the loss of your parent. True friendships can be made at the most difficult times. It is wonderful that you can help each other. Beautiful card. I will have to go visit her site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a blessing that you & Gerda found each other and can help each other through these difficult times! Your card is beautiful ... awesome coloring and design! LOVE the stitching and distressing! Gorgeous! Thanks so much for playing in our ‘MAY FLOWERS’ challenge at Dies R Us! Please come back again soon!

    Darlene (DRU Team Leader)
    DIES R US CHALLENGE BLOG
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous card and Daffodils are one of my favorite flowers!! Thank you for joining us this week at "Dies R Us" for our "May Flowers" challenge.
    Diane DRU DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Das ist einfach wundervoll großartig geworden.
    Hab lieben Dank fürs mitmachen bei Fairytale Stampers
    Grüßle Tamesis

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear of your loss, and Gerda's. Isn't it amazing how crafting can lead you to special friends you would never have met otherwise? Lovely stamp and beautiful coloring and design. Thanks so much for joining our Butterflies challenge at Aurora Wings. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely card and I too love the daffodils they cheer the soul. Gerda is a fantastic artist. You show her beautiful daffodils off so beautifully, so bless you. Thank you for sharing with us at Dragonfly Dreams, hope we see you again soon...
    Love and Hugs ~ Lady Anne xx
    Dragonfly Dreams
    Anne's Paper Dream's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty and so well colored, wonderful design and choice of colors. Thanks for joining us at the Come And Get It challenge this week. Barb DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I love it! Thank you so much for sharing your gorgeous creation with us at Stamp and Create! Good luck,
    Rene :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful card: love your colouring of the daffodils and the blue and yellow colour combo reminds me of Delft vases with flowers in them. The verse (you probably know this already) comes from a poem by William Wordsworth, one of the British poets who always used to be taught in school when I was a girl. His former home in Cumbria (a stunningly beautiful part of England) is open to the public and attracts a good number of tourists. I think it's lovely that you and Gerda have been able to support each other through a tough time. Hugs, Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an adorable card, Gail, and I'm so happy I was a little "help" in adding to your embellishments! But, look at you - a great color combo and you actually found a daffodil to match the image -- I'm always in awe of what coordination you put on your cards. I'm sure Gerda will be absolutely thrilled on receiving this card - and moreover, by having you color up one of her own images!! She'll be tickled and treasure it always. I love how you were able to thread yellow ribbon thru your white lace!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Daffodils are my favorite flower! I just adore this your card, all of the little details like the ribbon threaded through the lace & the stitching. Great job. Thanks for joining us for our May Flowers challenge.

    Alicia (Dies R Us DT)
    MaxiBelle Studio

    ReplyDelete
  17. A masterclass in layering patterns and texture and perfect embellishment. Gorgeous. Thank you for joining us at Inkspirational Challenges. Come back next time! Marina

    ReplyDelete
  18. lovely image and colours on your card thanks for sharing with brown sugar this week Rachel dt

    ReplyDelete
  19. A beautiful bright cheery card. Thanks so much for joining in with our 'Things with Wings' Challenge over at Dream Valley. Look forward to seeing your gorgeous work again soon. Keep it coming, as you've said, it helps on those darker days. I lost my daddy a few years ago, so I feel your pain. Hugs, Wends x Dream Valley DT

    ReplyDelete
  20. Firstly I would like to pass on my condolences on your loss I lost my Mum almost 12 years ago now and still have bad/dark days.
    Secondly I think your card is beautiful and your right the poem is perfect. It lovely to read how yourself and Gerda have been able to comfort each other and I wish you both well.
    Thanks for joining us this month over at Just For Fun challenge blog.
    Good Luck with the challenge
    Hugs
    Marie (DT for JFF)
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just beautiful - such an elegant card.

    Thanks for joining us at The Crafty Girls Challenge.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  22. so gorgeous, love the papers
    thanks for playing with us at addicted to stamps
    hugs
    céline

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gail, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, but my heart is feeling joy that you were able to connect with someone who is traveling a similar path, to share your journey of healing. Each day, I'm in awe as to how supporting, nurturing and spirit-lifting this crafting community is. Your card is absolutely gorgeous and your colouring...wow! Simply and utterly beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing your warm story and especially, your bloom-inspired card at Inkspirational Challenges. Your lovely verse comes from one of my favourite poems by William Wordsworth, and is aptly named "I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud." So lovely...
    c

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful card and I hope you get some more therapy soon, crafting definitely helps me heal!

    Thanks for joining us at Dragonfly Dreams and I hope you come back soon!

    Hugz

    Laurian
    Owner Dragonfly Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so sorry for your loss but pleased that you are sharing with someone who can uplift you and empathize the journey you are undertaking. Your creations are a beautiful way to share your memories and to remember your Mum. I lost my mom and my sis years ago and the crafting has given be back some of the joy I lost. Your coloring is amazing and the softness of your colors reflect the kindness and love you have for your loved ones. Thank you for taking time to share with us at Mema's Crafts and good luck in the draw.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is lovely and perfect for our 'Celebrate Mom' challenge at Sparkles Monthly Challenges. It's so pretty, love the colours.

    Hugs Helen P(DT) xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh, what a wonderful card. great work.

    theanks for joinning with the fairytale stempers.

    glg meggi

    ReplyDelete
  28. oh, what a very nice card.

    thanks for sharing with The Staming Boutique and good luck.

    gr. meggi

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great card, thank you so much for joining us at sentimental Sundays, hope to see you again soon. Good luck
    Caroline dt

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a prettycard. I love how you have showcased that sweet image. Great detailing. Thank you for joining us over at Ladybug Crafts. Hugs Nina

    ReplyDelete
  31. How good for you and Gerda to find each other as friends at such a sad time. I love the image (daffodils are my favourite flower!) and your colouring and papers are so pretty!

    Thanks for joining in at The Squirrel and the Fox

    love Mags B x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello again! It's so nice to have a second chance to say how much I love your card!!! Thanks for joining in at Dream Valley!!

    love Mags B x

    ReplyDelete
  33. So pretty...Love all the details! Thanks for playing along with us at Come and Get It this week!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  34. A wonderful card.
    Thanks for joining us at fairytale Stampers.
    Hugs Andrea

    ReplyDelete